I have always loved pizza, I mean who doesn’t right? And I honestly thought I was leaving it behind when we decided to commit to a plant based diet. But, I was so excited to discover that I can still have a pizza and even more excited to discover that it is AMAZING without cheese! I mean, we now make our own homemade vegan pizza base (thanks to my beloved food processor) and have discovered our favorite toppings but who knew that pizza tastes fresher and every bit as delicious without cheese.
We use the pizza base recipe that came with the food processor and use a tried and tested tomato sauce that I have been using for years. Our favorite toppings are mushrooms, peppers, and tomatoes but I’m sure that will change as we experiment more. Friday night family pizza night back on! Yay!!
Homemade Vegan Pizza
Yield 1 Pizza
This homemade vegan pizza is made from scratch and easier than you imagine. It can be piled high with any of your favorite plant-based toppings.
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2/3 cup warm water (40° - 46°C)
- 1 2/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 3/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 large onion (finely chopped)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp Italiano herbs
- 1 large tin chopped tomatoes (796ml tin)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 1 tomato
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in warm water using a liquid measuring cup. Let it stand until the mixture goes foamy, this should take around 5 minutes.
- Using a food processor with a chopping bowl add the flour, canola oil and salt. Set the machine to run at low speed and gradually pour the liquid mixture in and keep adding as the flour mixture absorbs it. Keep processing until the mixture starts to form a ball inside the work bowl. After that, continue to run the processor for a further 30 seconds in order to kneed the dough. You may find the dough is slightly sticky which is fine.
- In a large bowl coated with oil add the mixture and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Place the mixture in a warm spot and let the dough rise for about 1 hour.
- Heat oil & salt in a small saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until soft.
- Add garlic, herbs and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tin of chopped tomatoes along with the sugar.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- Blend to desired consistency (we use an immersion blender).
COMPLETE THE PIZZA
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C)
- Place the dough down on a floured surface and form into a pizza base. Brush the base lightly with oil. Place the dough on to a pizza stone(sprinkled with cornmeal) if you have one or alternatively a large baking sheet.
- Spread the pizza sauce over the base and add the mushrooms, pepper and tomato or whatever favorite toppings you prefer.
- Bake the pizza in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes.