I never thought that tofu fried rice would be a part of my life, not in any way. However, I now find myself in a place where its a regular food stuff and we use it in so many dishes. I am also amazed that the kids have taken to it so well, I think its texture is easier for kids to chew on.
We tend to stick to the extra firm tofu and use the medium stuff for our littlest guy. This sometimes leads to us wasting some of it, so I came up with this recipe as a way of using up the softer tofu.
I had pretty much stopped making fried rice since we were no longer eating eggs but I started to wonder if little cubes of this softer tofu could work just as well. And I’m so glad we gave it a try! It is every bit as tasty as any fried rice we have made before, its a healthier version of a classic, it’s a great way of using up leftover veggies and the kids love it. Winner!
Tofu Fried Rice
Yield 3 Servings
- 2 tbsp Canola oil
- 1/2 cup Soft tofu (cubed)
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1/2 tbsp Fresh ginger
- 4 Green onions (chopped)
- 1 Carrots (juliened)
- 1 Bell pepper (diced)
- 1 cup Brown rice
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 Zucchini (cubed)
- 1/2 cup Frozen peas
- Cook rice according to packet instructions.
- Heat oil in a large wok.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add spring onions for a further minute.
- Add carrots, peppers and frozen peas, cook for 3 minutes.
- Add tofu and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add rice and stir-fry until heated through. Add soy sauce to taste.
- Serve with additional stir-fry veg and enjoy.
- Add more soy sauce to taste
Courses Dinner or lunch