We are so proud to say that this vegan instant pot soup recipe was developed by our five year old son Reece with only the slightest support from his old dad. Needless to say, Reece is super excited to get this recipe on the website. This recipe is designed to be used with an ‘Instant Pot‘, a pressure cooker which we recently purchased to help us keep up with our busy lives!! If you don’t own an instant pot then I would suggest simply switching out the dried kidney beans for a can of pre-cooked and making the recipe as you would using a traditional method. Let us know in the comments if you have any success.
This soup has a delicious, rich and smooth texture and is packed with nutrition. It has a little spice, but both our 17 month old and 5 year old manage to eat this no problem.
The photo for the soup was taken using my new Samsung s7 smartphone under natural light outside. With our lives being so busy the last few months we love the immediacy of being able to use a smartphone to take pictures. We have been really happy and surprised at the quality of shots we have been getting using the phone, have a look at our Vegan Vanilla Pudding photos as another example.
We hope you enjoy Reece’s vegan instant pot soup, please comment to let
me him know what you think of his recipe!
Reece's Red Pepper Vegan Instant Pot Soup
Yield 6 Servings
This vegan instant pot soup has a delicious, rich and smooth texture and is packed with nutrition. The recipe was developed specifically for an Instant Pot.
- Red pepper (chopped)
- Green pepper (chopped)
- 2 x large Carrots (chopped)
- 1 x celery stalk (diagonally sliced)
- 1 x leek (washed and sliced)
- 1 cup dry kidney beans (washed and remove bad beans)
- 3 handfuls spinach (washed)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp cajun spice
- 1 tsp rosemary spice
- 1 tsp garlic spice
- 1 tbsp Italiano spice
- 1 tsp salt (preferably iodized)
- 1/4 cup water (to saute the veg)
- Prepare all your ingredients in advance.
- Set the Instant Pot to saute and when hot add the leeks, carrots, peppers, celery and water. Saute for 5 mins, add more water as required.
- Add the spices and salt and cook for a further minute.
- Add the kidney beans, spinach and vegetable stock and stir everything together.
- Cancel saute mode, pop on the lid, set the vent to the sealed position and manually set the time to 55 minutes (high pressure)
- When the cook is complete allow the instant pot to naturally cool (depressurize)
- Serve as is or use an immersion blender to create a smooth textured soup.
- If you don't require the texture to be so smooth you can use the 'quick release' feature on the instant pot to save you some time. The soup still tastes great!