We definitely have a tendency towards a sweet treat with a cup of tea in the afternoon. We decided to try these blueberry scones from Patricia Tallman, author of the ‘Restore Our Planet Diet’, since we love her recipes and the book says they are easy to make.
They were indeed very simple to make and since we usually always have either fresh or frozen blueberries on hand, they are a great option to make at the last minute.
These are not scones as we are used to them (we are British so would usually have scone with spread and jam), I would describe them more as little cakes or buns. But they are very delicious and both the kids agree!
Yield 6 Scones
These vegan blueberry scones are super easy to make. With a hint of cinnamon and filled with blueberries, these sweet treats are delicious!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup raw brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup plant based milk (we used Silk / unsweetened soy)
- 1 cup blueberries
- for dusting icing sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C)
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and give it a good mix.
- Take another bowl and whisk together the plant-based milk, oil and lemon juice. Now throw in your blueberries and give it another good mix.
- Take the liquid ingredients you just mixed, pour it into your dry ingredients and gently fold it all together.
- On a baking sheet, form and arrange the mixture into 6 individual scones.
- Pop it in the oven and bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Once the scones are out of the oven and have cooled, sprinkle them with a small amount of icing sugar if desired.