This split pea and potato soup is delicious, both our boys absolutely love it! It’s a thick and hearty soup full of fiber and rich in antioxidants. We had it served with some delicious whole grain bread and a spinach salad. Thanks again to Patricia Tallman, author of the book ‘The Restore-Our-Planet Diet’ for letting us publish this recipe.
Split Pea and Potato Soup
Yield 4 Servings
This vegan split pea and potato soup has a creamy texture and tastes delicious. It's a thick and hearty soup full of fiber and rich in antioxidants.
- 2 cups Split peas (Yellow or green, washed (no pre-soaking required)
- 1 tbsp Canola oil
- 1 Small onion (chopped)
- 4 Garlic cloves (minced)
- 6 cups Vegetable broth
- 1 Potato (medium)
- Rise off the split peas, drain them and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot then add the garlic and onion. Cook the mixture until the onion has gone soft.
- Pour the vegetable broth into the pot and add the potatoes, split peas, salt and pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil before simmering for around 1 - 1.5 hours, or until you feel the split peas have cooked and are good to eat.