I love lazy Sunday mornings when we can take time over breakfast. I always want something extra tasty on these days. These vegan breakfast bran muffins fits the bill nicely! We used ground flax seed to replace the egg in a classic applesauce bran muffin recipe. We also added a good dose of cinnamon to suit our families taste. It’s also super easy and pretty quick to throw together, which is another essential component of my favorite Sunday mornings. This is not a sweet, cakey muffin (I suggest maybe blueberry and lemon muffins for that!) but it is a very satisfying tasty muffin. With our favorite fresh fruit and a steaming mug of hot coffee, I can definitely recommend this as a great way to start off a lazy Sunday.
Vegan Breakfast Bran Muffins
Yield 12 Muffins
The perfect way to start a lazy Sunday morning. These vegan breakfast bran muffins with a hint of cinnamon are quick and easy to make. Absolutely delicious!
- 1 ½ cups wheat bran
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed (mix with 3 tbsp of water and refrigerate for 15mins)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC) then lightly grease a 12 cup muffin pan (we used canola oil)
- Add the ground flax into a bowl and mix well with the water. Pop it into the refrigerator for 15 minutes to let the mixture thicken.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the bran, flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and cinnamon then mix until well combined.
- Into a measuring jug or another mixing bowl, combine milk, applesauce, vanilla extract and flax seed.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and mix until just combined, taking care not to over mix.
- Fill each tray space to about 2/3 full and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until a skewer inserted in the muffin comes out clean.